A reader asked me recently for a snickerdoodle gingersnap for her granddaughter, who had been craving one since she went gluten free. It honestly sounded like heaven in a cookie to me. Marrying the flavors of my favorite gingersnap spices with the texture of a soft snickerdoodle — who could resist soft gluten free Gingerdoodles?
So I set to work immediately, yes immediately, to create a recipe. Sometimes it doesn’t take much to distract me from paying bills, signing up for healthcare, getting my desk in order … you know the drill.
Plus, these cookies sounded amazing, and I wanted some! My family is a huge snickerdoodle and gingersnap family, so I also knew the concept would go over well (sorry neighbors, I won’t be giving these out — there aren’t any left!).
I did learn a few things in making these gluten free Gingerdoodles. If you prefer a flatter cookie, don’t refrigerate the dough before baking. It’s also relatively simple (especially if you don’t refrigerate the dough) to make these into crunchier cookies if you just bake a little longer. I also think these cookies turned out even better baked on convection setting — see my recipe notes for both options.
However you bake them though, they’re “magically delicious!” and would make a delightful addition to your holiday cookie tray!
If you’d rather make a straight up gluten free snickerdoodle, you can’t go wrong with this classic recipe, and you can tell I’m a gingersnap girl, since I have so many gluten free gingersnappy options on my site.
Everything from gluten free Thin Gingersnaps (Thingersnaps for short!) to gluten free Soft Molasses Cookies to gluten free Gingersnaps made with my easy gfJules Gluten Free Graham Cracker / Gingerbread Mix.
And yes! I even have a gluten free Gingerbread Cake recipe, of course!
But if you’re up for trying something new, I highly recommend these gluten free Gingerdoodles! They’re pretty special!
Gluten Free Gingerdoodles
- ¾ cup butter or vegan butter (like Earth Balance Buttery Sticks)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed slightly
- 1 egg or substitute
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup baking molasses
- 2 ¼ cups (304 grams) gfJules Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt (only if using unsalted butter)
To Roll Cookie Dough In:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons ginger powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, cream butter with sugars until light and fluffy, approximately 3-4 minutes. Add egg, vanilla and molasses, mixing until integrated completely.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all remaining dry ingredients, then slowly stir into large mixing bowl until a smooth, but sticky dough forms.
- Transfer to a covered dish and refrigerate for at least one hour until very cold.
- Preheat oven to 350° F (static) or 325° F (convection - preferred).
- Prepare baking sheet by lining with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar and spices for rolling the dough balls.
- Scoop out rounded tablespoons of cookie dough and roll in the sugar-spice mixture, then place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Flatten if you like your cookies crunchier.
- Bake for 9 minutes on convection, 10-11 minutes on static. Do not overbake if you like your cookies softer, rather than crunchy. When you remove the cookies from the oven, they’ll continue to bake some, so remove them when they’re still soft to the touch for chewy cookies.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes or so before removing from parchment.
I may earn a small amount from qualifying affiliate purchases; this amount goes to fund this blog and does not cost you anything additional.
Nutrition InformationYield 36 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 72Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 15mgSodium 83mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 0gSugar 8gProtein 0g
Please keep in mind that nutrition information provided is per serving, which may vary. While we have taken care to provide you with the most accurate nutritional values possible, please note that this information may differ significantly depending on the exact ingredients and brands that you choose to use to make this recipe. Additionally, where options are given for ingredients, the resulting calculation may include all ingredient options instead of only one per line, skewing the totals significantly.
Save for later!