This chocolate or white frosting recipe is one you’ll want to commit to memory! The recipe is so simple and takes the cake for being a go-to, makes-everything-better frosting you can pipe, smooth or write with!
To achieve a super smooth frosting, spread this recipe of chocolate or white frosting on your cake. Allow it to set for approximately 30 minutes, then gently smooth by rubbing your fingers along a Viva brand paper towel laid on top of the frosting.
The result is the wonderfully smooth chocolate or white frosting look of the chocolate cake picture above!
If you’d prefer a lemon-y twist, check out my dairy-free lemon buttercream frosting recipe instead!
If you choose to use butter (not dairy-free) or vegan butter, the results are a luscious buttercream flavor. If you use shortening instead, the frosting is more like the traditional birthday cake frosting we remember from our childhoods (or maybe that’s just me!?).
Either way, this frosting recipe is a winner: easy, quick, dairy-free and delish!
- 1/2 cup butter or non-dairy alternative, softened (I like Earth Balance® Buttery Sticks), coconut oil or shortening, especially if you plan on piping or using it to make designs (I like Spectrum® Palm Oil Shortening)
- 2 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 cup sifted cocoa powder (for chocolate)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- up to 1/4 – 1/2 cup milk of choice, dairy or non-dairy (for chocolate frosting, may use chocolate milk, if desired, not necessary)
Cream the sugar, cocoa (if making chocolate frosting) and vegan butter together with an electric mixer. Add the vanilla and 2 tablespoons of milk, beating well to combine, and additional milk (if and only as necessary) to achieve a spreadable consistency, beating for several minutes at the end until light and fluffy.
Note:*Depending on whether you use butter, Earth Balance, coconut oil or shortening, you may not need much or any milk to achieve spreading consistency.
Use recipe above, and omit cocoa powder. Reduce milk to 1-2 Tablespoons, adding more only if needed to achieve the desired consistency.
Food coloring, optional.
Pin for later!