These cute and fun gluten free pumpkin pancakes will revolutionize your fall breakfasts! The addition of pumpkin purée makes these gluten free pancakes rich not only in color and flavor, but also in nutrition! Pumpkin puree offers loads of vitamins like A, C, B12 and E, plus potassium, fiber and antioxidants. Adding pumpkin allows us to skip the eggs, too.
Perhaps you have half a can of pumpkin purée in your refrigerator left over from another recipe like gluten free pumpkin chocolate chip muffins or gluten free pumpkin pie donuts? That’s what happened to me today, so I whipped up a batch of these jack-o-lantern flapjacks, cleaned out the fridge and made the whole family happy. It’s a win-win-win!
You may be tempted to think pumpkin would make a dense and heavy pancake but you would be wrong in this case. Even without eggs, these flapjacks are fluffy, especially if you use my gfJules Gluten Free Pancake and Waffle Mix, which is designed to make the absolute best gluten free pancakes every time.
Feast your eyes on these autumn beauties and celebrate the passing of pumpkin season in delicious style!
Feel free to add berries or chocolate chips to these pumpkin pancakes, as you would with any gluten free pancake batter — my daughter particularly likes the chocolate chip option. Just watch to be sure the chips don’t burn when you flip them, or integrate into the batter before adding to the pan.
Another option: put mini chocolate chips in for eyes and a mouth, and these suddenly become Jack-O-Lantern Pancakes and your kids will beg for more!
In fact, this was all I had left of our pumpkin pancakes, as my kids were snatching them off the plate before I could photograph them, even eating them without syrup! My son said, mouth full of pancake, “These taste just like pumpkin pie for breakfast!” I like that.
Pumpkin Pancakes FROM MIX
- 1/2 one gfJules® Gluten Free Pancake & Waffle Mix ( = 1 2/3 cup mix)*
- 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée
- 3 Tbs. mild oil (like safflower, sunflower, olive or avocado)
- 1 1/4 -1 1/2 cups apple cider OR apple juice OR orange juice
Pumpkin Pancakes FROM SCRATCH
- 1 cup gfJules® All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- 3 Tbs. dairy or non-dairy milk powder (Coconut Milk Powder) OR almond meal
- 1 Tbs. granulated cane sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 -1 cup apple cider OR apple juice OR orange juice
- 6 Tbs. pumpkin purée
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 egg (or 2 more Tbs. pumpkin purée as egg replacer)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- high heat oil for frying (unless using non-stick pan)
- chocolate chips if making Jack-O-Lantern Pancakes (like Enjoy Life® allergen-free mini chocolate chips)
Whisk flour, milk powder, sugar, baking powder, salt (or gfJules Pancake and Waffle Mix) and spice (plus pecans, if using) together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together remaining ingredients. Gradually stir the liquid mixture into the dry ingredient bowl.
Heat a griddle or skillet to medium heat and pour just enough oil into your pan to barely cover the entire surface (note: if using a non-stick pan, oil is not necessary).
Spoon batter onto the hot oil in the size and shape you desire. Cook until the batter begins to bubble, then flip; cook the second side until lightly browned.
If making Jack-O-Lantern Pancakes, feel free to add food coloring if you like them looking very orange. Also be sure to cook slowly at a lower temperature so that the faces do not get too darkened and the chips don’t get too melty … or they’ll look like scary Jacks!
Serve with powdered sugar and cinnamon on top, or just with pure maple syrup.
*Feel free to use an entire gfJules® Gluten Free Pancake & Waffle Mix and simply double the remaining ingredients to make a full batch:
- 1 gfJules® Gluten Free Pancake & Waffle Mix
- 1 Tbs. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 6 Tbs. oil
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups apple cider