In my continuing pursuit of delicious ways to use gluten free sourdough starter, I am pleased to share this yummy gluten free Sourdough Breadsticks Recipe with you!
It took a few tries to get the proportions just right, but I’m really pleased with how soft and tender these gluten free breadsticks are.
If you’re familiar with my regular gluten free breadsticks recipe (non-sourdough variety), you’ll see some similarities. That recipe is so fantastic that I wanted to use it as my recipe base for this sourdough variation.
Here, the gluten free sourdough starter takes the place of the yogurt or sour cream ingredient, and of course, we’re not using yeast. There are a few other subtle differences, but the recipe is largely the same otherwise.
If you don’t have a gluten free sourdough starter yet, hop right on over to my recipe for making your own homemade starter.
The recipe is super simple, and once you have your gluten free starter alive and kickin’, you’ll be able to make loads of amazing recipes like this one.
How to Make Gluten Free Sourdough Breadsticks
As for making these gluten free sourdough breadsticks, the method couldn’t be easier. Just add the ingredients to the bowl, mix and then turn the dough out onto your bench or pastry mat, lightly floured with more gfJules Flour.
Don’t use too much flour or it will difficult to roll the dough into sticks.
Divide the dough evenly into eight pieces, then just gently roll into logs the length and width you’d prefer for your gluten free breadsticks.
Place them onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, cover with another sheet of parchment to rise, then bake for only about 7 or 8 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean or with dry crumbs.
If you’d like more recipes for your gluten free sourdough starter, check out my gluten free Sourdough Banana Bread Recipe and gluten free Sourdough Pancakes Recipe! Also, you can always bake a traditional gluten free Sourdough Loaf!
Gluten Free Sourdough Breadsticks Recipe
- 2 cups (270 grams) gfJules™ All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup (26 grams) milk powder (dairy or non-dairy like coconut milk powder) OR gluten free Vanilla Pudding Mix like Jell-o Brand (will make bread sweeter) OR plain GF mashed potato flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (use 1/4 teaspoon if using salted butter)
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) butter or vegan butter OR vegetable shortening OR solid virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons honey OR pure maple syrup OR agave nectar
- 2 large eggs OR egg substitute (like 2 Tbs. flaxseed meal steeped in 6 Tbs. warm water)
- 1 cup active, fed gluten free sourdough starter
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Cut the butter ingredient into small pieces and cut into the dry ingredients with a dough paddle attachment on a stand electric mixer or a pastry blender by hand. Leave small pebble-size pieces throughout, so don't over-mix.
- In a smaller bowl, stir together apple cider vinegar, honey and eggs until combined. Slowly mix into to the dry ingredients. Fold in the gluten free sourdough starter.
To Make Gluten Free Breadsticks:
- Dust a clean counter or baking mat lightly with gfJules™ Flour. Dust your hands with a little more of this flour as well. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces (measure and cut with a bench scraper, as pictured). Grab a chunk of the wet dough, rolling it gently in the flour into the shape you desire. Don't put too much gluten free flour on the dough, or it will be difficult to roll.
- Lay the sticks onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Cover with parchment and let rise in a warm location for 30 minutes - 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F (static) or 325° F (convection).
- Bake for 7-8 minutes until the tops are lightly browned and the dough has risen (may need slightly more time for static temp. bake). A toothpick inserted into the sticks should come out dry. Do not over-bake.
- Remove to cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 192Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 49mgSodium 665mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 0gSugar 25gProtein 5g
Please keep in mind that nutrition information provided is per serving, which may vary. While we have taken care to provide you with the most accurate nutritional values possible, please note that this information may differ significantly depending on the exact ingredients and brands that you choose to use to make this recipe. Additionally, where options are given for ingredients, the resulting calculation MAY include ALL ingredient options instead of only one per line, skewing the totals significantly.
Pin for later!