Gluten Free Pumpkin Scones with Cranberries and Pecans
This time of year I’m all about the gluten free pumpkin recipes! These gluten free pumpkin scones with cranberries and pecans are just my latest creative use of delicious, healthy pumpkin purée, but I think you’ll find them one of the best!
One of my all-time favorite recipes is for scones. Not the dry, hard kind with no flavor (you know what I’m talking about!), but the moist, tender kind bursting with berries and crispy-topped with a light coating of cinnamon and sugar. This is also the kind of recipe that takes about 5 minutes to make, and only 10 minutes to bake, so it’s ready before the bus pulls up in the morning! Nothing not to love about this recipe, and now it’s tailored to the season!
I was teaching how to make yummy gluten free scones in Utah a couple weeks ago, and learned that in Utah, scones don’t mean the same thing as the Southern scones I grew up with. However, there were absolutely no complaints from the audience when they tasted my version of a scone! I promised to share some variations on the theme with everyone on my blog, and here is one of my favorites!
In honor of the season, I used pumpkin purée in place of some of the yogurt, and the result is divine! Feel free to use a different berry, leave the nuts out — whatever suits you! Drizzle some cranberry sauce on top, and this could be a terrific Thanksgiving “morning after” breakfast treat too! Yum yum!
- 2 cups gfJules™ All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- 2 Tbs. flaxseed meal (optional, but recommended)
- 1/4 cup granulated cane sugar
- 2 tsp. gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
- 4 Tbs. butter or shortening (Earth Balance® Shortening Sticks)
- 2 large eggs (or egg substitute like 2 Tbs. flaxseed meal steeped in 6 Tbs. warm water)
- 1/2 cup yogurt, dairy or non-dairy (So Delicious® Vanilla coconut yogurt)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- cinnamon-sugar to sprinkle on the tops before baking
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Whisk together all dry ingredients in a large bottom bowl. Cut shortening into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter or two knives. Stir in the eggs, yogurt and pumpkin. Gently fold in berries and nuts.
Spoon dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet “drop biscuit” style, and sprinkle with a pre-made cinnamon and sugar mixture. Bake for 8-11 minutes, just until the tops are lightly browned. Do not overcook!
Makes approximately 15 scones.