The Best Gluten Free Cake Recipe
Before we get started into what is THE BEST GLUTEN FREE CAKE RECIPE … ever, let me just tell you that I know cake. I come from a long line of cake lovers – and frosting lovers, truth be told – and it’s not exaggerating to say that it’s critical that we have awesome gluten free cake recipes at our fingertips.
I have developed great gluten free pound cake recipes, angel food cake recipes, lemon cake recipes, s’mores cake recipes, pineapple upside down cake recipes, black bottom cupcakes recipes, King cake recipes, red velvet cake recipes … you get the idea. And I have a great yellow/white cake recipe, too, but I wanted one that was lighter and frankly, required fewer odd ingredients. So I worked and worked, taste-tested and taste-tested (I’m wiping my brow over here), until I was sure that this was IT! Bear in mind that the ingredients given are all here for a reason; making substitutions will change the texture and taste of the cake, trust me. Including, and especially, the flour ingredient. My gfJules™ Flour is unlike any other; using another blend will absolutely produce a different result.
I am so excited to share with you what I now firmly believe to be my most versatile, delicious, light, and EASY gluten free cake recipe yet! I’ve given instructions on how to make this a white cake, yellow cake or chocolate cake, but don’t let that stop your imagination! I can’t wait to hear what kind of yummy chocolate swirl, mint, peanut butter, salted caramel or other delicious concoction you come up with using this new super easy cake recipe as your base.
While I love this gluten free cake recipe for any occasion, it’s especially amazing on birthdays — I mean, who doesn’t love a good birthday cake?! Which is why I’m particularly excited to share this BIRTHDAY BASH GIVEAWAY where YOU could win a KitchenAid® mixer, $100 in gluten-free sprinkles and Rodelle® Vanilla products! Put all that together with this recipe, and you’ve got yourself a pretty rockin’ birthday bash! Check out my blogger friends who are sharing in this huge giveaway and enter at each post for more chances to win! Many thanks (and happy birthday!) to my friend Sharon at “What the Fork” blog for organizing this fun event!
- Gluten Free Coconut Cake – What The Fork Food Blog
- Gluten Free Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes – Gluten-Free Palate
- Bourbon Tropical Peach Cocktail – Fearless Dining
- Kir Royale Cocktails – The Heritage Cook
- Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes – My Gluten Free Miami
- Gluten Free Cookie Cake – Flippin’ Delicious
- Summer Beer – Vegetarian Mamma
- Gluten Free Coconut Cream Pie Cupcakes – Good Morning Cali
- Must Try Summer Cocktails and Mocktails – A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
- Gluten Free Cookie Cake – A Mind “Full” Mom
- Strawberry Lychee Panna Cotta – Brunch-n-Bites
- Cucumber Moscow Mule – The Culinary Compass
- Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes with Mocha Frosting – Only Taste Matters
- Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes – Veggie Balance
- Virgin Watermelon Margarita – Coffee With Us 3
- Elderflower Mojito – Home & Plate
- Summertime Lemon Cupcakes – For the Love of Food
- Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake Stacks – Simply Healthy Family
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake – Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
- Watermelon Mint Gin Fizz – Frugal Foodie Mama
- Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake – Raia’s Recipes
- Tequila Sunrise Cocktail – All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
- Grilled Spicy Pineapple Margarita – Lapetitchef
- Gluten Free Fresh Apple Cake – My Gluten-free Kitchen
Come back and share with us all when you try this recipe, and if you put any other delicious flavor spin on it! Happy cake baking (and eating, of course!).
Makes one 10-inch round cake or 12 cupcakes; double for 2 layer cake.
Best Gluten Free Cake Recipe
Note: double for two 8 or 9-inch round pans
- 1 ½ cups gfJules™ All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- 1 cup minus 1 Tbs. granulated cane sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 tsp. baking soda
- 2 eggs or substitute (for white cake, use 4 egg whites instead)
- 1/3 cup mild flavored vegetable oil of choice (safflower, non-GMO canola, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil melted, etc.)
- 1 Tbs. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract (I like Rodelle®)
- ½ cup milk of choice (dairy or non-dairy; skim or fat-free not recommended)
For Chocolate Cake, add ¼ cup cocoa, ¼ cup additional milk and 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup (I like Ah!Laska® Organic Dairy Free Syrup).
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Oil one 8 or 9-inch round cake pan or line 12 muffin cups with cupcake papers.
Bring all ingredients to room temperature. Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl. In a separate mixing bowl, combine liquid ingredients, reserving milk. Slowly pour dry mix into the liquids and begin to stir, adding the milk while stirring to keep the flour from flying up and out of the bowl while mixing. Continue to beat at medium speed just until the lumps are gone and the batter is smooth.
Pour batter into prepared pan(s). Allow to rest in the pan before baking for 15 minutes.
Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes for the cake and 20-25 minutes for the cupcakes. Test with a toothpick before removing from the oven. When done, the toothpick should come out clean (not wet), and may have a few crumbs attached when inserted into the center of the cake. Glass, metal and ceramic pans all alter the bake time, so check for done-ness before removing from the oven.
Remove to cool on a wire rack. To remove the cake, gently invert the cake by flipping it upside down onto your hand, removing the pan, then returning the cake to the wire rack or a serving plate.
Frost with your favorite frosting like this white or chocolate frosting recipe. (There are plenty more frosting recipes where that came from – just search the “recipes” tab on my site!)